How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Overdue

My how time flies when you are having fun . . .

Harvest is finished and we are grateful.  It was challenging at times as the ground was saturated most of the fall.  We kept going as much as we could, but we cut ruts in most fields and got stuck way too often.  I think we broke 5 chains, including one of the neighbors.  Twice we borrowed PP's tractor and cart.  With it being wet and humid most of the fall, it was hard to get soybeans to dry down.  We cut more beans in the 13 - 15% range than we ever have.  It was a much earlier harvest than 2009, but there were a lot of similarities. I think it is time we invest in a good heavy duty tow rope!

But we are finished and we had a safe harvest, the highest average yields ever, and minimal breakdowns.

We gave combine rides to several of Son#2's former Caterpillar coworkers who have extra time on their hands, and we gave rides to our Elder and his grandson, among others.

We got the wheat sown in early October and then received 3.5 inches of rain on it.  I had to replant several patches.

A couple of weeks ago, we pulled a trailer to the old Morton church to pick up some assembly room benches we requested.  I got one of the front benches even though I requested a back bench, because the back is where I spent most of my time when we attended there while growing up.


Today we had a little unwanted excitement with a field fire.  Nephew #3 was shredding stalks, and the mower started on fire.  It was probably an overheated slip clutch that threw some sparks on the fluffy buildup on the deck.  The fire was contained using the chisel plow on the downwind side, but the Fire Department was called to the scene to assist with their "brush fire" truck as well as a tanker.




Yesterday morning when I left the house at first light, Gus was standing guard under our Ash tree outside the kitchen window.  I shot the raccoon for him and he was proud of his prize.

Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.
Psalm 116:7


1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Where are you putting said benches?

I don't know why the fire makes me laugh so much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home