How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, July 29, 2016

3 Shirt Days

Heat and humidity have returned to central Illinois. We try do the work that has to be done in the morning so that we can go easy in the afternoon.  Then work again in the evening.  I get so soaking wet from sweat during the day that when I come in the house for lunch or a break, I can't sit on a wooden chair or it would ruin the finish.  We keep towels on my kitchen chair and my computer chair to protect them.  This past week I was soaking through the towels, so I brought a metal folding chair to the kitchen table to use instead.
There are soybeans fields that need walking, but because of plentiful rain, the shaded ground has stayed muddy.  The waist high soybeans stay wet til noon because of heavy dew and the humidity.  The afternoons are too hot, so the weeds are not getting removed very fast.

Its been another good year in the sweet corn patch.  With all the raccoon problems we have been having, I was worried that the patch would get attacked this year.  So far there is no evidence that they have been in it.  We picked a couple bushels of peaches off of the peach tree this year, and we have pears that will soon be ready.

I finally got to spend some quality time with my newest granddaughter last week.  New babies always put me in awe of God's design and creation.  Especially when they are such little cuties!

On our way to Lester a few weeks back, we spent the night in Blue Earth, MN.  Before we left we had to go visit the "Jolly Green Giant" that I have known from my youth.  He stands 55 feet tall, his smile is 48 inches across, and he wears size 78 shoes!  The museum wasn't open at the time we were in town or the old farmer might have dragged his wife to see it.



I recently saw this quote of Facebook.  I don't know who said it, but it provokes thought.

"Modern Christianity doesn't want to know the Prince of Peace, they just want to sin in peace."

I know this isn't true of all modern Christians (whatever the definition of that is), but as we look around us we see an awful lot of professing Christians who don't seem to want to live in submission to the Word, but have no qualms about following the world.

Not judging, just observing.


Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
Matthew 20:12

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home