How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Winter

Last Saturday we attended the funeral of dear Sister Esther, and I was honored to be asked to be a pall bearer.  It was a bitter cold winter day, but dressed properly it was bearable.  I forgot how awkward it is to carry a casket without kicking or stepping on the other pall bearers' feet.  The spacing is too close, but I think we managed it with dignity.
 The old farmers wife remembered a poem from her youth that she thought fit Esther.

 I CAUGHT YOUR FAITH

I saw you stand
Bravely for years
But saw no trace
Of senseless fears.

I saw you stand
Calmly through stress
But caught no glimpse
Of bitterness

I saw you stand
Prayerful in grief
But saw no trace
Of unbelief.

Though you spoke well
Of Jesus Christ
I caught your faith
Watching your life.


Last night we had the first real snow of the winter.  It fell softly through the night, and ended up with 6+ inches by mid-morning.  Because we didn't have wind with it, it created a beautiful covering over everything.  I went out early and snapped some pictures.  Gus seemed to think he was to pose for me.



She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31 (various)

2 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I am procrastinating getting in a car again. So I looked for your blog to check out the IL news:) I say "amen" to the poem and thoughts of Esther. What a wonderful and thoughtful lady. May God be with her family in their loss and bless us all in the rememberance.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Wendi said...

Wow, what a wonderful poem that perfectly fits Esther.
Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home