How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Violets

Search long for a girl who loves violets . . . special are the women who love the scent and sight of violets fresh from a spring garden.  Girls who love long stemmed roses are many . . . roses are emblems of status and can be bragged about to companions.  Violets are for the quaint of heart, the sentimental of soul, the pure of intellect.
~unknown

When I was a kid and played in the yard, I would pick and eat violets for some unknown reason.  I've been known to eat some even after I grew up.  I loved the simple beauty of them, even though they are generally considered weeds in the yard by most people.  This spring, the violets are abundant around the farm, and I still love to see them.  It's hard for me to see them get mowed off.  And I think little violet bouquets are very chic.  
So I did a little research into the subject (thanks, wikipedia!). 
The flowers and leaves are both edible raw or cooked, but make a somewhat bland vegetable or salad.  They are sometimes used as a garnish.
The flowers, leaves, and roots contain vitamins A and C, and contain an antioxidant called anthocyanin.  The Chinese used violets to make an herbal tea, and the Cherokee used them medicinally to treat colds and headaches.
They are also used as a source for scents by the perfume industry.  Violet is known to have a "flirty" scent as its fragrance comes and goes.  They contain a compound which turns off the ability for humans to smell the fragrance for moments at a time.

The common blue violet, Viola sororia, is the state flower in Illinois.




The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
Song of Solomon 2:12

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, remember hunting for violets in the yard and eating them. I haven't seen any this spring in our yard:( It was great spring time fun and we ate and picked bouquets. I still love them and the memory is precious. I remember eating clover and looking for the 4 leafed ones too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home