How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, March 26, 2012

Westerns

I have now read all 17 of the Sackett books.  14 of them since the new year started.  To my shame, I didn't spend near as much time in the Word over the last couple of months as I have spent riding my horse around the West herding longhorns, shooting bad guys, drinking coffee around campfires, and rescuing damsels in distress.  It's time for this old farmer to come back to the Midwest.

Breaking news from the U of I!  Following the resignation of Michael Hogan, Dr. Robert Easter has been named the new President of the University.  I knew Dr. Easter back in the 1970's when he taught my swine production class.  It's a long way from the U of I hog barns to the Presidency of this great institution.  He obviously is well respected and highly regarded.  I think the board of directors made a wise choice.  And it's good to see someone at the top who has roots in Agriculture

The first couple of weeks of March felt more like June.  Very pleasant weather.  I've been pruning fruit trees trying to stay ahead of blossoming.  The wheat is greening up beautifully, and looks as good as any crop of wheat we've ever had.  The contrast between the new wheat and the trashy, barren soil around it is stark.  It reminds me of the contrast of a Spirit filled life and a life that is dead in sin.


.
Gus is growing also, and as puppies are, he is full of energy.  He has an attraction for the landscaping, and seems to need to tear through it regularly (or sleep in it).  If left unattended, he likes to run through the hog lots and manure puddles.  He tends to get himself quite filthy.


If you have time, check out the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys.  They are three talented young brothers from New Jersey (of all places!), who play some mighty fine bluegrass music.

She doted upon the Assyrians her neighbours, captains and rulers clothed most gorgeously, horsemen riding upon horses, all of them desirable young men.
Ezekiel 23:12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home