How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Wet Walk

We were going to do a walking tour of the historical downtown Charleston one afternoon. We parked our car in the visitor center parking deck and headed out. Market Street is a wide street with open air pavilions down the center of it for 3 or 4 blocks. Inside the pavilions are vendors selling all sorts of merchandise, art, and souvenirs. Originally they probably sold animals, fruits, vegetables, and other staples. It was about a mile from where we parked.

While browsing through the pavilions, a heavy rainstorm moved in and started a downpour. After a few minutes, when it didn't let up, the vendors started scurrying around and packing their wares and taking them to vehicles or piling them on tabletops. We asked what was going on and were told that the storm sewers couldn't handle heavy rain and the water would soon start rising in the streets. We thought we would be safe under the shelter of the pavilions. As the water rose in the street I started looking for a way to get to higher ground, or a way to get a ride back to our car. My wife didn't seem too worried and thought we should just wait it out. When the water came over the curb and onto the sidewalk, a vendor told me it could get up to knee deep inside the pavilion. Now I really wondered how to get out, but my wife was still willing to wait it out. The Police now blocked the street to vehicles.

There was a commotion towards the other end of the pavilion that we were in, and a vendor chuckled and said, "The rats are starting to climb the walls looking for higher ground - - that always happens when it rains this much!" At this point my wife was interested in an immediate evacuation. So, off came the shoes and socks, I rolled up my pants to my knees, and we waded out of there. It was still raining, but we headed back towards our parking deck taking temporary shelter in doorways and under canopies as we went. By the time we got back to our car we were drenched, and as would happen, the rain had stopped. It was too late to do any more touring for the day, so we drove back to our condo to clean up.

Meanwhile at home, my sons were making trips to West Quincy/Taylor to help work on the levees. I guess I got in on some flooding but missed out on an opportunity to serve.

And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
Genesis 9:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home