How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Baseball

This time of year there is a lot of excitement in the sports world because of the baseball playoffs. When I was in grade school, I received my first transistor radio. To have your own miniture battery powered radio was pretty special back then. You could carry it with you wherever you went and it didn't need to be plugged in! About that same time I started getting interested in sports and in particular, the St. Louis Cardinal baseball team. They had just beat the N.Y. Yankees in the World Series. I became a diehard Cardinal fan, listening to the games late at night( late for a grade schooler) with the transistor radio on my pillow close to my ear. I didn't want my parents to here me up so late. I followed them closely thru two more World Series appearences in the next few years. Our teachers in school would bring in their black and white TV's so that we could watch the games in class. Since becoming a Believer, my interests have changed and I don't follow them very closely any more - occasionally checking scores and standings in the paper or on the web, out of curiosity. The Cardinals have been in the Series 7 times in my lifetime, and my condolences go out to my Cub fan friends who have never seen their team in the series( their dads didn't either!). Maybe next year. Right.
Anyway, this time of year I get a little nostolgic for the Redbirds as they go thru the playoffs and try to make it back to the top. Now where did I put that transistor radio?

4 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Dad, where did you go wrong? The Cubs are where it's at! :)

Hm..and your radio is probably in the atic someplace...

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Luke said...

And boy are they gonna have a battle on their hands this year. I don't get too into baseball either until the playoffs...then I like to follow it. Go Cards!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Wendi said...

I used to collect baseball cards. And I'm a total Cubs fan even though they stink!!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

I still have my baseball card collection in the attic, but my nephews have gone thru it and informed me that I don't have any valuable ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home