How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, September 08, 2006

Cider

Earlier this week we dug out the Happy Valley Ranch cider press and made fresh apple cider. The apples started falling from the trees a little early this year, so the cider is not as sweet as some years - but it is still very good. It takes approximately 1 bushel of apples to make 1 gallon of cider. We made about 7 gallons this round. I can't quite compete with Tanner's, Christ's, or Hoerr's on volume, but I think I can on taste(I do like their cider). Mixing different varieties of apples together makes the best tasting cider in my opinion. Two gallons left for U of I, one left for ISU, and one went down with supper that night. It doesn't last long around here unless we put it in the freezer and save it for future enjoyment.

I raise my glass of cider in a toast to the fruit of fall! *clink* . . glug, glug . . . ahh . . .

The old farmer's lovely wife also made apple sauce, apple schnitz, and dried apple snacks. She also pressed grapes into juice to make homemade jelly.

Thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the LORD thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I still have half of mine...I didn't share. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home