How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Friday, September 01, 2006

FPS

I first heard of the Farm Progress Show in 1963. My Dad let me miss a day of school to take me to Jim Yordy's farm south of Morton to attend the Farm Progress Show - a farm turned into an exhibition, a regular "tent city" in the middle of a farmers field. It was impressive then, and it still is today. The FPS is the Granddaddy of all farm shows!
On Wednesday I attended the 53rd annual FPS at the Amana Colonies in Iowa. I rode a chartered bus full of old Tazewell County farmers and we spent 7 hours strolling around the 75- acre exhibit field looking at the almost 500 exhibits. It had rained 2 inches on tuesday, so the "streets" and display areas were muddy. But I wore my work boots, so I was good. On display are the newest and biggest machinery( with emphasis on biggest), grain bins, machine sheds(full size!), seed companies, chemical companies, fertilizer companies, truck/trailer manufacturers, and the major pick-up truck manufacturers(of coarse!). There was a 36 row planter, 18 row corn head, 12oo bu. grain cart, 8ooo gal. manure tank, etc. - a lot of expensive iron!
I also got to see Orion Samuelson and Max Armstrong(WGN), and Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns. On the way back home, we stopped at the Iowa Machine Shed for supper. Great food and atmosphere! I'll have to add it to my favorite restaurant list.
It was a good day.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your day, dear - I enjoyed NOT looking at all those things! I spent about three days there one afternoon a few years ago, remember? :) XOXO

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

haha. Remember that time Jakey and I went with you and it had rained a lot and we were walking through 6 inches of mud. We brought our rubber boots that time too. And we got those magazine cover pictures taken....
And waded through the mud all day.
And almost got Fred's truck stuck.
Did I mention how muddy it was?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home