How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, June 22, 2024

Red and Green

 My little sour cherry tree was loaded this year!  With the help of Jack and Logan, we picked over 23 pounds of cherries.  I am pretty sure that's the most we have ever picked off of any one tree we've ever had.


Early June was pleasant, and we had some very interesting evening skies.



One Sunday evening, the old farmer and the wife of his youth decided to drive to Lake Bloomington and check out the newly rebuilt Green Gables restaurant.  They are famous for their smash-burgers.  We went to eat there a couple of years ago, but they were too busy the night we were there.  We decided to eat elsewhere.  Then they had a fire a year or so ago and the place burned down. They have recently re-opened so we decided to try again.  We got there about 6:30, and while they appeared to be busy, we didn't have to wait for a table.  At no time while we were there were the tables all full.  The waitress took our order, said she would get it right in, and then we waited.  And we waited. And waited.  The waitress stopped by and refilled our drinks and said she thought it would be soon.  And then we waited.  And waited.  After waiting an hour and a half, our appetizers finally arrived.  In a paper bowl.  And they don't provide plates.  Ten minutes later, she came with our two burgers wrapped in paper, carried in her hand, and set them on the table. The burgers were good, but of course, we were starving after the long wait.  We probably won't be going back anytime soon.

I pulled a super full of early honey off of my strong hive. We ended with 26 pounds of honey.  Hopefully there will be more later in the summer.

I had my annual dermatology checkup early this spring.  They biopsied another spot and found some more basal cell carcinoma on my ear.  I didn't want to be bothered until after planting, so early June I had Mohs surgery again.  The doc took a chunk out of my ear, and did some plastic surgery to get it as close to normal as possible.  I spent a week walking around with a swollen, bandaged ear, plus strict restrictions on what I could do.  It's healing up nicely, and life is back to normal.  My family used to make fun of some of my goofy hats, but the doc tells me I need to be wearing them plus sunscreen.

"Modern religion focuses upon filling churches with people.

The true gospel emphasizes filling people with God."       A. W. Tozer

And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.   And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far.  And he touched his ear, and healed him.                                      Luke 22:50, 51 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home