How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, February 05, 2018

Glass Castle

I had to renew my Certified Livestock Manager certification this winter and I will not be able to attend the local training class.  So, I decided to take the course and test online.  I passed, so I am once again legal to raise hogs in the State of Illinois.

A few years ago I read the book The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.  It is the story of her upbringing in a poverty stricken family by nomadic, dysfunctional parents.  It is a very good read and a well written book.  And it's almost unbelievable that she survived her childhood.  She managed to escape her unconventional childhood and move to New York, graduate from college, and become a successful journalist and author.  The story has been made into a movie, but I would recommend the book.
I recently ran across a lecture she gave for the IPFW Omnibus Lecture Series.  You can find it here.  I was impressed by the way she was able to overcome here past and not use it as an excuse or act victimized.

I went to another beekeeping class last week, I purchased two hives, and I have bees ordered.  Ready or not I will soon be a beekeeper.

Snow has moved back into our area, with predictions for snow off and on all week.

And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.
Luke 14:18

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home