How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Recovery

Wednesday night, about the time people were driving home from work, a heavy fog rolled into the area.  There was a great deal of concern about the danger of people driving to church in the heavy fog.  As a church trustee, I contacted the rest of the trustees, and the decision was made at about 6:10 to cancel services.  Before I received the message from One Call Now (the service we use to alert the entire congregation) at 6:25, a rain front rolled through the area and dissipated the fog.
We would have been fine having church.  Oh well!
We listened to the sermon from Fairbury on AC Central.

A week and a half ago, I underwent outpatient surgery.  I believe it was my first time under the knife (other than a finger operation), and my first time under general anesthesia.  The surgeon planned to do the repair work with laparoscopic surgery, but was unable to complete the job correctly.  So, I was then sliced open to do the job through open surgery.  Now I have four incisions to heal in my abdomen!  I am thankful that everything went well, I had minimal pain, and no complications so far.  I was given a prescription for Tylenol plus Codine for pain, but everybody in my family that has used it in the past has gotten sick from it.  I definitely didn't want to be throwing up with abdominal wounds and sutures, so I didn't use it!  I was able to get by with Ibuprofen for three days and then I didn't need anything.

I ran into three female nurses I know in pre-op and post-op while wearing my less than full coverage hospital gown.  Not to mention that my surgeon was female, the anesthesiologist and her intern were female, as well as all the support staff in the operating room!  I guess at my age it's not much use getting embarrassed anymore!

We are blessed with access to superb health care, and I realized again as I witnessed others in the hospital at how blessed I am to be healthy.

The worst part now is that I'm feeling so good that I am ready to get back to normal activities.  But my surgeon looked me right in the eyes and said, "Be very careful and do not lift anything heavier that 15 pounds for 6 weeks!"  I begged and pleaded, but she was adamant.  I told her I would do my best, but I am afraid that I will forget myself.  I can't lift feed or seed bags, pigs, straw bales, scoop manure, or lift grand-kids!
I'm afraid that I will get out of shape and gain weight!

 Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.
Jeremiah 17;14




1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that all went well. We have been keeping you in thought and wondering so we are thankful for the update:)
Love and prayers,
your sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home