How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Saturday, November 15, 2008

3 Chrisendale

In 1981 a new house was built at 3 Chrisendale. In the spring of 1982, my parents moved off of the farm into their retirement house in town (even though they were not yet retirement age).

It didn't stay a house very long. It quickly became a home, a haven, an inn, a banquet center, and a fellowship hall.

I wonder how many hundreds of meals were served here to guests, visitors, and strangers. Or maybe, how many meals were served where there wasn't a guest at the table.
I wonder how many hundreds of overnight guests were lodged in this home.
I wonder how many hundreds (perhaps thousands) of young group singles spent evenings in this house.
I wonder how many thousands of psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs were raised to Heaven from within this home.
I wonder how many thousands of times the Holy Bible was read in this home.
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of prayers were lifted up to God from within this home.


Today was moving day. The end of an era.
My parents moved to a condo next to our church.

I remember helping Maurie Knapp, Alvin Farney, Dad, and many volunteers build this house. I would show up mid morning after chores, and get razzed by the carpenters for being late.
I remember Fred and I having the old farmhouse to ourselves after they moved out. They left us their old furniture.
I remember going uptown to eat when I was still single.
I remember the marathon family Christmases that took place here annually, as well as all the other holiday gatherings.
I remember visiting here with Grandparents, Great Uncles and Aunts, Uncles and Aunts, parents-in-law, and others who are no longer with us.
I remember all the young group activities we hosted here.
I remember the singings that we siblings and our spouses would host in February while Dad and Mom were in Florida or Arizona.
I remember many of the 26 years of hosting the Bible Class breakfast.
Although I never lived here, it definitely was the hub of the family for 26 years.

This will be a big change for my parents. This will be a big change for the rest of us.
May God bless them in their new home.

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality

Romans 12:12,13

2 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

Did they sell their house or just move before they sold it?

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

As of today, they think they have it sold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home