How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Late Summer

The days are becoming more pleasant temperature-wise, the nights are much cooler, the kids are back in school and the crops are starting to turn. Fall is just around the corner here on the farm. We are anticipating a bountiful harvest this year and the prices are good. Again, we have much to be thankful for.
Our Aunt Dorothy Gledhill gave me a china plate years ago with the following poem on it.


THE FARMER’S PRAYER.
Let the Wealthy and Great
Roll in Splendour and State,
I envy them not, I declare it.
I eat my own Lamb,
My Chicken and Ham,
I shear my own fleece, and I wear it.
I have lawns, I have bowers,
I have fruit, I have flowers,
The Lark is my morning alarmer.
So jolly boys now,
Here’s God speed to the plough
Long life and success to the Farmer.


Life is good.

(But eternal life will be better.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home