How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Road Time

One Friday night a couple of weeks ago, the phone woke me at 12:15 A.M.  We had lost power and the alarm company was calling to warn us of potential problems in the confinement buildings.  This happens at least once a year, so I left my flannel sheets and went out to make sure the generator was running and that everything was OK.  The power was back on when we woke up in the morning.

I spent a night in a recliner at OSF a couple weeks ago.  The oldest farmer was having some health issues one evening that concerned us.  He was finally checked into his room around midnight, and it was 2:00 AM before all the questions and standard procedures were finished.  Then with all the interruptions during the night, there wasn't much sleep.  Fortunately there appears to be nothing seriously wrong and he was able to come back home a day later.

Several of us have been taking turns picking up Chris in Decatur, bringing him up to Washington for church, and then taking him back after church.  I like the trip in the early morning because the roads have very little traffic on Sunday mornings.  It takes an early start, because it's a three hour round trip to be at church by 9:30, but I enjoy the trip and the conversation with Chris.  I let him drive part of the way this past Sunday; it's the first time he has driven in 19 years.  He said he felt like a 15 year old beginner again, and I definitely played backseat driver.  Hopefully in another six weeks he can move up to our area, find an apartment, get his license, and find a job.

And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.
Jeremiah 23:3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home