How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Monday, August 25, 2008

Double Duty

I've been doing double duty the past week here on the farm. My partner/brother has been on vacation and the youngsters are back in school, so I'm doing all the chores and work alone. It's a slow time for us in our farrowing cycle and with farm work, so it's not hard to keep up. In addition, a neighboring hog farmer is on vacation and I'm doing his chores also. His chores are not too complicated right now either. The only problem is that the feed that is being delivered to him isn't flowing very well right now. Perhaps too fine of a grind. Anyway, while the augers are running to fill the feeders inside, I'm walking around outside of the buildings beating on the bulk tanks with a rubber mallet to keep the feed flowing. I'm not sure if it sounds like a war or a bad rock band to the other neighbors, but it gets the job done! On Saturday his farm lost power for awhile. Fortunately, his father and brother quickly arrived and started his generator, so by the time I got there to check things out, they had everything under control.
Two sets of chores keep me hopping, but I don't mind, because I take my turn vacationing also.

Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.
Proverbs 27:23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home