How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Cold

I made it all the way through the winter with its wild temperature swings, rain, ice, and snow, wind, and now the third week of April I come down with a nasty cold! We are supposed to be starting our corn planting now! Of course its still to wet and cool in our fields, but still, its no time for a bad cold. Runny nose, headache, fever, wracking barely productive cough, not much appetite. All the common symptoms. But it is just a cold, and it will pass. I remind myself of that when I get a cold. There are others that would trade their infirmities for a cold any day. I am thankful for my good health. I'm still forcing myself to put in 8-9 hour days of work, but I also sneak in some naps. I even got to bed at 10:00 last night! About the only time I get to bed that early is when I'm sick, or the night before deer hunting season:) Hopefully a couple more days and the worst will be over, and hopefully we'll be able to start planting corn.

Because I felt so lousy last night, I didn't go to church. After may nap, I found a website( thanks to Kim Komando) with Winston Churchill's "Iron curtain" speech given in 1946 at Westminster College in MO. It reminded me of the old saying - "if you don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it." Our politicians today should listen to more of the old statesmen. One other interesting observation; the speech is laden with scriptural references and innuendo. I doubt that many people today would understand the applications of much of it in our Bible illiterate nation.

2 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Oooo let me guess- you drank Postem today! :)

what website?

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, now he's into green tea...but I still can't get him to take Echinacea.
He'd feel better in a minute (not).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home