How Great The Yield From A Fertile Field

Random musings from an old farmer about life, agriculture, and faith

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Books

World magazine has an article in this week's issue about books for children and young adults that includes favorites lists. Below is my list of some of my favorite books for youth. They are not in any particular order.

--Across Five Aprils
--Where The Red Fern Grows
--A Day No Pigs Would Die
--Boy Scout Fieldbook
--Hatchet and other "Brian" books
--Abraham Lincoln biographies
--Robinson Crusoe
--Swiss Family Robinson
--My Side of the Mountain
--Old Yeller
--Shane
--Cheaper by the Dozen
--Hardy Boys series
--Laura Ingalls Wilder series
--Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective

Most of these books I still enjoy rereading as an adult.

When you reread a classic you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than was there before. ~Clifton Fadiman

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac

To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. ~Chinese Saying

2 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Yay for books.

I wonder how many we have all together?

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Old Farmer said...

Until we open a library, I'm not sure we want to know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home